If you only used one social media network, you would probably be able to remember the ideal image sizes for it. However, the life of social media marketers is not that easy. They often have to take care of 5 or more different social media networks. If you want to use all of these networks to their full potential, you have to master the best practices of every single platform they use.
One of the things that can be hard to remember, is the ideal image size for social media. Every single social media platform requires marketers to use multiple types of images, each with its own size requirements. Those can be really hard to remember, but we are here to help.
Feel free to use this cheat sheet, so that you are always able to find the ideal social media image size as quickly as possible.
Facebook Image Sizes
Facebook has quite a lot of image types that are used all over the platform. Each personal and business account has its own profile picture and cover photo. Then, people and businesses can share images and links, as well as create events. All of these interactions are done the best when accompanied by pictures of ideal size.
Use the list below to find the best image size for Facebook post, as well as best Facebook image dimensions for each use.
Facebook Profile Picture Size – 180 x 180 pixels
- must be at least 180 x 180 pixels
- will be cropped if it’s not a square
Facebook Cover Photo Size – 820 x 312 pixels
- the minimum size is 399 x 150 pixels
- displays as 820 x 312 pixels on desktop and 640 x 360 pixels on smartphones
- anything less will be stretched
Facebook Shared Image Size – 1200 x 630 pixels
- will appear smaller in the feed, however, with a good enough quality, people can still click it and enjoy the picture in its full glory
Facebook Shared Link Image Size – 1200 x 627 pixels
- displays as 470 x 246 pixels in feed and 484 x 252 pixels on the page
Facebook Event Image Size – 1920 x 1080 pixels
- will be scaled down (or up) to a minimum width of 470 pixels
- don’t use event images smaller than 470 x 174 pixels
Twitter Image Sizes
Twitter does’t have as many image types with different sizes as Facebook, but there is still some variety. Each user has its own profile picture and header photo. On top of that, each tweet can have a picture attached to it. You can find the ideal Twitter image dimensions below.
Twitter Profile Picture Size – 400 x 400 pixels
- displays as 200 x 200 pixels
- always a 1:1 aspect ratio
Twitter Header Photo Size – 1500 x 500 pixels
- this size will work the best, be sure to always use it to make your Twitter profile look great
Twitter Tweet Image Size – 1024 x 412 pixels
- minimum size of 440 x 220 pixels
- be sure to upload pictures with 2:1 aspect ratio
Google+ Image Sizes
Let’s face it. Google+ is not the most popular social network ever. However, it is still very important. Not because of people on the social network itself, but because of its connection to Google search engine. Each account is associated with a profile picture and a cover photo. Users can share images, as well as link with a square thumbnail. Ideal Google+ image dimensions are listed below.
Google+ Profile Picture Size – 500 x 500 pixels
- minimum size of 250 x 250 pixels
- it’s a good idea to use higher resolution images with 1:1 aspect ratio
Google+ Cover Photo Size – 1080 x 608 pixels
- recommended size 1080 x 608 pixels
- minimum size 480 x 270 pixels
- maximum size of 2120 x 1192 pixels
Google+ Shared Image Size – 497 x 373 pixels
- display size 497 x 373 pixels
- minimum width 497 pixels
- maximum size 2048 x 2048 pixels
Instagram Image Sizes
Instagram is all about pictures. That’s why it’s really important you use them properly. Apart from the Instagram pictures themselves, there are also profile pictures to worry about. You can find the best Instagram image dimensions below.
Instagram Picture Size – 1080 x 1080 pixels
- the ideal upload size is 1080 x 1080 pixels but the pictures get scaled down on the site
- square photos are most common, however, you can upload rectangular pictures
- ideal Instagram rectangular picture size is between 1080 x 1350 pixels and 1080 x 566 pixels
Instagram Profile Picture Size – 110 x 110 pixels
- minimum size 110 x 110 pixels
- be sure to maintain 1:1 aspect ratio
LinkedIn Image Sizes
There is a lot of different types of images used throughout LinkedIn, the professional social network. It all depends on the fact if you use the platform as an individual, as a company or both. You can find the ideal LinkedIn image dimensions below.
LinkedIn Profile Picture Size – 400 x 400 pixels
- minimum size 200 x 200 pixels, maximum size 10000 x 10000 pixels
- file size up to 10 MB
LinkedIn Personal Cover Image Size – 1584 x 396 pixels
- great way to capture the attention of people visiting your profile on LinkedIn
LinkedIn Company Logo Size – 300 x 300 and 60 x 60 pixels
- regular logo – minimum size 300 x 300 pixels
- smaller logo – minimum size 60 x 60 pixels
- logos can be different in order to keep the smaller one readable and distinguishable in search result
LinkedIn Company Cover Image Size – 1536 x 768 pixels
- minimum size 1192 x 220 pixels
Pinterest Image Sizes
Using nice and high-quality images is one of the keys to success on Pinterest. If you want to succeed, you simply have to use the right pictures and use them the right way. Each profile has its own profile picture and the rest of the platform is more or less about the Pins itself. Check out the ideal Pinterest image dimensions below.
Pinterest Profile Picture Size – 600 x 600 pixels
- minimum size 180 x 180 px
- upload bigger pictures for higher quality
- be sure to keep the aspect ratio 1:1
Pinterest Image Size – 736 x 1104 pixels
- clicked (expanded) pins are displayed with maximum width of 736 pixels
- recommended aspect ratio is from 1:1.5 to 1:2.5 (image sizes from 736 x 1104 pixels to 736 x 1840 pixels)
Pinterest Board Cover Image Size – 736 x 736 pixels
- minimum size 340 x 340 pixels
- keep the square aspect ratio
YouTube Image Sizes
YouTube is all about videos, but pictures are really important on the site as well. Each channel (user) has a profile picture. Channels also have a cover photo and each video has a thumbnail. You can find the ideal YouTube image dimensions below.
YouTube Profile Picture Size – 800 x 800 pixels
- usually displayed much smaller, but you should keep it at 800 x 800 pixels to maintain its quality everywhere on the site
YouTube Cover Image Size – 2560 x 1440 pixels
- display sizes differ according to a device used
- be sure to use 2560 x 1440 pixels images to have a suitable version for all devices
YouTube Thumbnail Size – 1280 x 720 pixels
- you should upload content in at least HD (1280 x 720 pixels), so the thumbnail size should’t really be a problem
Leave a comment!
Did you find all you were looking for? Is something missing from this list? Let us know in the comment section below.